Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Three Little Words and Unmoving Knot Tutorial



The StampinUp! set Three Little Words is so pretty and versatile. It would be perfect if only it weren't double-mounted. I had to have it anyway because the "T" of the word "three" looks like a medieval illuminated letter, and I wrote my thesis on Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. It was my destiny to own this stamp set.

I love how this card turned out because it's so perfectly clean and simple! First, I stamped the sentiment in black Palette ink on PTI's white cardstock (card is 4.25" square). The ornate "T" is stamped on a scrap of black cardstock with SU craft white, embossed in white, and cut out. Cutting it out was a pain but very much worth it. I popped the "T" up on dimensionals.

The black ribbon comes from Michael's. The sheer and satin combination works well with the ornate image, and I attached it using a really cool technique I read about on a blog. If anyone knows which blog, please tell me so I can give credit where credit is due. I NEVER couldn't have figured this technique out for myself, but it is so cool!

First, I punched a hole where I wanted the knot to be. Then, I laid the ribbon on the top of the card, wrapped both ends around to the inside and brought the ends up through the hole, one end on either side of the ribbon on the front of the card. Pull the ribbon tight, tie once, and you're done! The ribbon won't move now, and the knot is smaller than usual so it's easier to sneak it through the mail without the extra postage for lumpy envelopes. How cool is that?!?!

The set comes with a variety of three-little-word sentiments. I'll pick one when I decide to send the card. I like keeping my options open!


Thanks for looking!

14 comments:

  1. I love the elegance of this card. TFS that ribbon technique; I'll have to try it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is BEAUTIFUL! I just love how you cut out that "T" and popped it up and the black ribbon compliments it so nicely! LOVE IT!!! Cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW ... how do you do it? This is just so elegant.
    Thanks for the ribbon info .... I might save some postage now!!!
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know CAS stands for Clean and Simple, but honestly here it stands for "Class and Style".
    Your card has inspired me, I just made my own with that clever ribbon technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this ribbon idea! How wonderful...I'll make a note of it. I don't know where the idea came from, either, but I'd sure like to thank them. Also, you made the most beautiful CAS card and made me take another look at this SU! set. It looks so beautiful on your card. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THIS! I want this set, but haven't bitten the bullet yet! BTW, I did a tutorial for this "one-hole bow" on my blog, but it wasn't my idea. My SU upline taught me, you can meet her at:
    http://penniemccallum.typepad.com/stamping_with_pennie/
    I have tried to pass the idea around because it works so well!
    Again, just love your CAS style!
    LeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you got this stamp set because this is a great card. And thanks for the cool ribbon technique!! I'm going to have to try this one myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn (stampinscotsgirl)April 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM

    First of all, your card so beautiful and very elegant!! I love the popped up T! Second, thanks for the tip about the ribbon, I just tried it on some scrap paper and it works beautifully!!!! Hats off to who ever came up with this brilliant idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE, love, love this elegant card! And thanks, 'cuz I've just added this set to my already-too-long SU wish list, LOLOL!

    Tried the ribbon technique ... omigosh, it's genius! I love that it holds the ribbon in place perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too saw this ribbon technique on a blog. I LOVE it. I have used it to tie bows with skinny ribbon too. It is so easy and works so great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, beautiful, simple, gorgeous card, love the ornate letter T. :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful, elegant card. Just love the simplicity of it, complimented by the ornate letter "T". I'm off to try the knot technique. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful card! Love it. And I love the ribbon technique, which I found on your blog before by the way.... You linked to this post http://weeinklings.blogspot.com/2008/05/grand-slam.html in your post 11 april 2009.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!