Friday, December 4, 2009

CASification Inspired by Colette Copeland

Every time I buy the Stamper's Sampler, Take Ten, I swear it will be the last one I buy. Each issue seems to showcase mainly cards with a collage-y, artsy, brown appeal. While these are lovely cards, few of them can be reproduced in ten minutes (as the name of the magazine implies). Very few are what could be called "clean and simple."

But I keep buying the magazine, like a gambler putting one more nickle in the slots, eternally hopeful that this will be the ONE that pays off big. And with a little CAS ingenuity, each one does, which explains why I keep buying them.

Consider this card from Colette Copeland. What a pretty, alliterative name! Anyway, her card really is CAS from the start, but the style is very vintage artsy, just like her other lovely cards showcased in the article "Scraphappy," which starts on page 84 of the Winter 2010 issue of Take Ten.


The idea of a shape with a sentiment strip placed over it struck me as VERY useful, in a CAS sort of way. First, I knew I'd have to change the scale of the image, seeing as I am lazy and don't like cutting shapes by hand (as Colette did here) and don't have Nesties or other dies. Sorting through my punches, I found this sun punch and paired it with a tiny sentiment from Sign Language. When I reached for cardstock, SU's In Color Crushed Curry raised its hand and said, "Pick me!" The result: my first card with a current In Color that I truly, absolutely love:


Immediately, I saw huge potential in this idea. How often do you wonder what the heck to do with all those tiny little sentiments that get lost on a 4.25" x 5.5" canvas? Giving them opportunity to state their sentiment boldly is tough because they are so small. But gosh darn it, they're cute. Here is a perfect formula for making these tiny stamps say what they have to say with gusto!


Come on, you knew there had to be a Christmas card in this idea, didn't you? And how about looking forward to spring?


And here's a heart, smaller than Colette's and plain, but oh so CAS.

What do you think?

Supplies
stamps: PTI Sign Language
ink: Palette dark chocolate
paper: PTI white, SU crushed curry, bashful blue, almost amethyst, regal rose
accessories: dimensional tape, assorted punches

Design Note: The sentiment strips are just a quarter inch high. I cut them with a quilting ruler and craft knife for precision.

17 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! I just purchased some of the smaller sentiments from Papertrey Ink. Reading your blog and seeing your CAS samples, I bought their paper and clear boxes for the sets I am making as gifts. Susan, I find inspiration here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAS is so much more pleasing to the eye - You did a GREAT job!! Brought great focus to the sentiment without it getting lost on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a rule (sort of) when I buy one of the stamping magazines. There has to be at least five things I would CAS or find interesting before I buy. I really liked Take Ten when they had lots of cards on each page. Back then the cards could be CAS in less than 10 minutes. Now the cards all look the same and yes, take much longer to make. I still got out every month to check out the latest issue. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I agree about how "Take Ten" is all about the collage style anymore. While interesting and requiring plenty of creative, it is not my style.

    I do love how you've interpreted the original card. SU has a new (well, new to me) punch that might also work well here, it is long but with some interesting shapely stuff at the ends, sort of like a new and updated word window punch. Goodness knows I can't cut a straight line to save my soul, so cutting two parallel ones like you have done is just simply out of my reach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - Thank You!! I love how you used the sentiment over the picture and it is CAS! I love checking your blog to see what you are showing.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas - love the simplicity of each one and you're right about sentiments getting lost - this style changes all that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only you would be able to come up with this awesome and versatile CAS design from the original card!! Thank you for showing me the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to tell you that of all the (many) blogs I have to check on every day, yours is always the first. I'm a huge fan! Totally agree re Take Ten. I still get it too, for the same reasons - just hoping ... Love your cards today, and thank you for sharing your amazing talent with us each day.
    Tilly in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic idea about showing off the teeny sentiment. It somehow makes the words more important when showcased like this! I will definitely want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a smart way to clean up a card and make it really POP. Love all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how I totally agree with you about the Take Tens. I eagerly look forward to them and then am so let down...But, I LOVE your interpretation. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again you nailed it, Susan. I love the heart, who knew it could be so simple but look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brabo !simple and clean in very beautiful cards !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent idea. Just last night, I contemplated paring down the PTI Birthday Basics set by trashing the really small ones. I'll try your solution instead.

    Thanks, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely love your idea. Hardly ever use my smaller sentiments, but now they will see some ink! Also need to look at my old Take Tens through your eyes for possibilities. I learn so much from your blog -- thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like all your versions of this simple design.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!