Thursday, June 9, 2011

Inspiration Takes an Unusual Direction

A set of cards in Take Ten was made with peat pots...you know, those inexpensive pots for growing plants. Now, I kill pretty much any plant I touch, so no peat pots hang around my house. But I loved the pot texture as well as the white space of the layouts in the magazine, so I decided to see what sorts of exotic papers I had that might add some texture and fun to similar layouts.

Here's the first card I made, which shows off the lovely reedy texture and golden color of papyrus:


I punched the label shape (EK Success) out of papyrus and stamped the sentiment in VersaColor burgundy ink. Sometimes, dye inks will bleed on papyrus so I made sure to use the nice, thick VersaColor. The papyrus is attached to the card base with scor-tape. Then, I took a small wooden heart and tapped the Memento rhubarb dewdrop pad on it, stopping short of complete coverage to give a bit of a weathered look to it. That looked too plain, so I glued a small knot of Papertrey's dark twine to it...a love knot.

Oh how I love this card! Methinks I'll give it to my hubby for our 25th wedding anniversary next week.

I'll show you a few more of my cards inspired by the peat pots over the next few days. In the meantime, why not look through your own paper stash for unusually textured pieces in natural colors to play with?

11 comments:

  1. This is so sweet Susan! LOVE the label shape and heart! Hope your doing great! Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those 'brown thumbs' too! Maybe it's because I'm too busy crafting to remember to water, then overcompensate and water too much....whatever - I kill any plant someone gives me! (Lord knows I never waste my money buying them!) Love this card, Susan! You have nailed the texture with that DP - great idea! Your wooden heart looks like a button! Clever girl!!! Have a good evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so creative! :) I'm right in there with the withered hand group. When I ask for advice on what to plant, I always ask for something extremely hardy that can pretty much take care of itself! Too bad silk flowers don't weather well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice job Susan. So simple but visually interesting. Congratulations on 25 years, hope you are planning something lovely together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifull card Susan and congratulations on the 25th wedding aniversary comming up hope you have a great day Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. simply stunning!!! so eye catching!
    vanessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card again Susan, love the texture of papyrus and that heart is just sweet. Congratulations to you both. 25years is quite a milestone and a triumph, well done! Gay xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome card and Happy, Happy 25 years!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A love knot! Go Susan!

    I thought I'm the only one nowadays who use 'methinks'; what joy to see someone who writes very well use it too. I feel validated. Go us!

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!