Monday, April 28, 2014

Love with Twine

Very often, I like to let images float on my cards. Technically, this goes against the rules of good design, but I work around that technicality by making sure that my floating images are at least related to each other in some way that makes sense and unifies everything (visual triangles, rows, grids, overlapping, etc.).

But really, grounding is good in design, and I was reminded of that when I made today's card.

You see, I punched four tags (trying to use old punches) and stamped LOVE out on the tags in large letters (trying to use old alphabet stamps). My original vision was to tie twine bows or knots on the tags and pop them on the card as simply as possible, but when I did that, it looked...meh.

So I stared at it for a while, scratched my head in bemusement, and finally came up with this.


A few strips of kraft card stock, and Bob's your uncle. Or whatever.

The next time your design looks meh, try a little grounding.

The twine is optional.

Supplies
stamps: SU
ink: Hero Arts
paper: Papertrey
accessories: twine (Papertrey), tag punch, dimensionals, 1/8" circle punch



2 comments:

  1. I really like this, Susan. The twine and Kraft strips look so good. The red letters really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must disagree -- that twine is not optional. It adds texture and creates interest so that the card is not just one horizontal line. That twine makes it all perfect! Thanks for all of the fabulous cards you share with us along with your thoughts! I enjoy both :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!