Thursday, August 18, 2016

Playing with Altenew

Note that Altenew sent me the two sets I'm using today gratis, and I thank them for that!

Botanical Garden from Altenew has such a wonderful vibe, doesn't it? It's feminine and loose but also elegant. Love it!



To design this card, I started with a long strip of scrap white card stock. After stamping the three butterflies in a visual triangle of Memento Luxe Morocco, I filled in the rest of the strip with the branch and flower using Impress Fresh Ink ginger. As I tried to figure out how to add a sentiment, I realized there was a perfect blank place for the hello stamp from Sentiments and Quotes.




Now of course my first instinct was a white-on-white layering but it looked off, somehow. So I rummaged in my scraps of colored card stock, which were feeling so neglected and lonely. The Papertrey terra cotta is a few shades darker than the Memento Luxe Morocco, lending a strong visual anchor to the design. Don't you love it when three colors from three different companies work so well together? Of course you do.

The design is strongly oriented to the vertical, but the sentiment, small as it is, gives a touch of horizontal. The contrast gives the sentiment more visual weight than it should have given how small it is. The Memento Luxe espresso truffle ink reinforces that.

And it was totally serendipitous, not planned at all. I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

Supplies
stamps: Altenew Botanical Garden, Sentiments and Quotes 
ink: Memento Luxe, Impress Fresh
paper: Papertrey white, terra cotta
accessories: none

3 comments:

  1. Breathtaking! Beautiful! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I have not worked up the nerve to tackle this set yet - you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!