Sunday, December 4, 2016

Take Ten and Rosemary Dennis

So Rosemary Dennis has served as a source of inspiration to me a number of times, and her challenge card for the latest issue of Take Ten is really cool. Check this out.




The layout of Rosemary's card is the next design challenge for Take Ten, if you are into publishing your workSince I don't intend to submit my Rosemary-inspired card for publication, I'm sharing it here.



These sorts of artsy designs allow for awesome color combinations. Rosemary chose black, gray, navy and red...which gives her card a kind of industrial feel totally appropriate for that grid background AND an elegant feel for the stencil design. That odd combination of styles works BEAUTIFULLY because of her colors.

Obviously, I went for very different colors and purpose. My color combo (from this pin) has tons of energy appropriate for a birthday card for a 20-something. Warm gold with raspberry and pink and plum are rich, natural colors that are also feminine, and that little hummingbird is simply darling.




It only took three tries to get this right, switching weights of colors and moving stuff around a bit. It was worth the wasted paper.

I also want to share the awesome stash of cards reader Eva donated to Karen's Card Shop at my church. What a kind and generous donations...and beautiful, too!



So many cards, all going to support our church. Eva attends another church in our area of the same denomination as mine. She and I have met for coffee twice now, and anyone else in the greater Dayton, Ohio, area is welcome to join us. Just email me!

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan


Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Grunge Me, Hero Arts sentiment (old discontinued set), My Favorite Things Jumbo Abstract Art
ink: Hero Arts butter bar, soft blossom, raspberry jam; Archival plum
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: craft foam, glue

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful shapes and colors on your card. Love the layout and the happy energy of the bird, swirl and paint swash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An unexpected interpretation--everything says happy! I'm glad you persisted. Your results were worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is take ten a publication ?
    great card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Take Ten is a publication of Stampington and Co. The idea is that cards in it only take ten minutes to make. Sometimes, this is true, sometimes not.

      Delete
  4. Fun challenge and your interpretation is great! Thanks for sharing both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary is one of my best blog friends--actually I've actually met her in person a couple times. She's an incredible designer, including the card in Take Ten, & I love your pretty version of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!