Sunday, August 6, 2017

Peace in the Parts

When I started playing with the two wood-mounted Hero Arts winter scene stamps in my hidden stamp stash, I remembered why they were hidden.


They are somewhat challenging to stamp, requiring just the right amount of ink or detail is lost. Pigment ink works best, as long as the pad isn't too juicy. Can you tell I ruined a lot of perfectly good paper that day? Of course, you can.

Also, getting a variety of looks with them is challenging. Neither one is proportioned to fit evenly on a standard card, and their larger size limits variety of layouts as well. I feel like every card I make with them looks the same as every other card. *sigh*

Nevertheless they are beautiful. Since I've been on a square-punch kick, today's card plays up how useful it is to have graduated punches in basic shapes.


The white squares make a lovely CAS frame for the small snowy scene, and the sentiment placement moves your eye around the design. Very satisfying!



So today's design lesson is this: don't give up on larger images. Look for parts that will stand alone. Play with cropping larger images into smaller ones. You never know what pretty card might happen!

Mercy grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Winter Scene, Papertrey Winterberry sentiment
ink: Memento Luxe Danube blue
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: square punches, glue

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful way to use a large stamp and show it off to perfection. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card, and good advice - I often struggle with this style of stamp, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such trouble with these stamps. I love your card. Thanks for all the awesome ideas on how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find big stamps very challenging - now you've given me permission to just use part of the image I'm sure I'll have far more use for them! A gorgeous card that has filled me with ideas.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great reminder to 'play creatively'! Thanks for the inspiration...again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of these stamps = I love it but in europe we basically use a slightly different size card - so maybe this stamp works better - but love your version - great idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful, inspired idea! I've got a couple large wood-mounted stamps that I don't use but now I'm going to dig them out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a smart idea! This could be a "blog hop" on its own! Thank you for encouraging us to take a look at some of our older stamps and part them out.... Very energizing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have such trouble with these stamps. I love your card. Thanks for all the awesome ideas on how to use them.


    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!